Checklist for a successful presentationDec 15, 2021
Today I want to share what I think of as a checklist for a successful presentation.
Before you start
- What’s the most important idea or message you want to share?
- What does the audience expect from you?
- What is the outcome you desire?
Building the presentation
- How will you engage the audience in the first 30 seconds?
- How will you signpost the intent of the presentation?
- What context does the audience need early in order to follow your arguments?
- What are the 2 - 4 main points you will touch on?
- What stories will make your information resonate with the audience?
- What is your concluding thought/message/ask?
- Are you following the TalkitOut system for making scripts easy to deliver?
- Are your slides imaginative? Pictures and videos have more impact that text-heavy slides.
- Are you using the TalkitOut Technique to ensure an authentic, conversational and engaging delivery?
- Are you using language most appropriate to your audience?
- Have you simplified complex concepts so they are clear to people hearing them for the first time?
- Are your sentences short (20 - 25 words max)?
- Are you making strong, regular eye contact with the audience?
- Are you building in plenty of pauses to allow listeners to digest the information?
- Are you varying your pace, tone and inflection?
- Is your body language congruent with your words?
- Are you monitoring audience reaction to check for buy-in and comprehension?
You can learn more about TalkitOut at www.halinastjames.com